Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just Keep Swimming...

The sky is overcast and the scent of coming rain is in the air. The lake smells like an old friend. When I was a kid and we'd vacation at the beaches in Delaware we stayed at a trailer park that sat on a lake or a bay, I don't remember which anymore. But there is a distinct smell I attach with that place and I smell it down here at this lake.
Yesterday I saw a snake swimming here. It was beautiful. I love how creation keeps moving in spite of chaos, war and injustice. All creation groans, but it doesn't stop. It moves forward with expectancy. I tend to be bogged down, sinking in my groaning. I get stuck in it.
And then I see this snake slithering through the grass and splashing into the water and swimming away and I'm captivated by his movement, the detail of his skin, his elegance under the water.
I think that's how we're supposed to be. Longing for the fullness of the kingdom and swimming...dancing in the knowledge that His kingdom is here and that His kingdom is coming.
Even the ducks are gliding along to His glory. May we, to, worship as our hearts cry out, "Marantha! Come, Lord Jesus!"


O God,
Whenever I listen to the voice of anything You have made--
The rustling of the trees
The trickling of water
The cries of birds
The flickering of shadow
The roar of the wind
The song of the thunder
I hear it saying:
God is One!
Nothing can be compared with God!
~Rabi'a



Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns!
Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved;
he will judge the peoples with equity."

Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
let the field exult, and everything in it!
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy
before the LORD, for he comes,
for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness,
and the peoples in his faithfulness.

~Psalm 96:10-13

No comments: