Friday, May 11, 2007

And All the Wee Angels in Heaven

When do we stop delighting at looking at our faces in a mirror?

When do we stop pretending and making up new games?

When do we stop coloring fuzzy images of loved ones? Coloring outside the lines?

When do we stop thinking that the world is so many shades of gray that there isn’t anything to rejoice in?

The children bring me outside of me. Even when we are smiling at our own reflections, the delight is in the way light and glass make backwards pictures of ourselves. The delight is in God’s creativity.

The children are forever creating new games. They are tiny geniuses. “Why is it made like this?” I give a black and white answer and they reply with a way around it that I never in a million years saw coming. They reply in color.

I stopped drawing because I can’t make a straight line to save my life. They don’t care about straight, crooked or anything of that. They care about coloring out what they know and see and feel and perceive their world as. They are not afraid to expose themselves through their art.

They dance freely and laugh and always find something new to celebrate. Or something old to be excited about. I get bored. They are not afraid to say silly things and look foolish. They delight in foolishness.

I want the heart of a little girl. I want the freedom, the celebration of life. They see God in things I merely glance at. I want to be like the children. This is how we enter the kingdom.


*post title taken from a quote from one of the kiddos.

No comments: